start-up problems

hi: I recently started using gnome (after having used linux for 7 years)
and am having real difficulties getting it to cooperate with my wm of
choice which is evilwm. Upon startup, gnome or gnome-session just hangs
for 30 seconds and then places the panel in the middle of the screen
even though it is configured as top. Have searched newsgroups and it
seems I'm not the only one with this problem but I haven't figured out a
solution. Any advise? thanks,
				Gerald