Re: Taking a screenshot...

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 16:47, Geoffrey wrote:
> Petri Kanerva wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 00:35, Fabio Gomes wrote:
> >
> >>You can use Gimp and take a timed screenshot.
> >>

> > I know that. Just after the fact, that this is a bug in Gnome IMO.
> > As gnome supports screenshot taking, shouldn't it be possible to do so
> > in every case, without any other applications?
>
> That doesn't really make a lot of sense.  Gnome is not an application
> it's a suite of applications.  What you assume is that there is some
> application that will take a screen shot that comes with Gnome.
>
> I suspect that virtually all distributions that have X installed also
> have xwd which will do a screen capture.  'man xwd'  Gnome or no Gnome.

Oh god, will someone *try* to read this, please? And, like, even
understand what they read?
Gnome has the screenshot feature in itself, and when it is activated
from Actions menu, or by keybinding, takes a screenshot. The only
problem is, that it only takes it in cases the keybinding can be read by
WM (I believe it is bound to WM, Metacity to be more specific). But as
menus (popups or other) do not have a windowborder, the WM doesn't get
the keypress when a menu is active. And even if it's not a case on WM,
as Gnome takes screenshots by itself, it *should* also work when a Gnome
menu is active. I see no point in the fact, that a standard gnome
feature doesn't work while a menu is active, as there is nothing to
sanely block the feature.

 Petri

--
an imperfect world with imperfect beings living their imperfect lives