Re: Gnome very slow

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13 wiredok com>
To: <gnome-list-request gnome org>
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 05:21
Subject: Re: Gnome very slow

> Let me preface this by saying this is the first time or many that the
> desktop has reacted normally or somewhat normally.  I am aware that you
cant
> tell anything from the following.

cannot
> dissconnect, dont know dissconnect command.  But logout handles it).
> Somewhere in the update cycle Mandrake Update dissappeared from the menu
so
> I finished in KDE with urpme -auto-select(had a lot of help).  Now I
decided
> to fix the problem and this morning its apparantly gone away(wasnt gone
> yesterday).
>
> > So you have 'top' running in a terminal and you say that one to three
> > processes are running actively -- which processes are they? Are they
> > using a lot of CPU?
>
> No.  A 386 could have handeled what the cpu was doing.  Monitor applett
> showed a spike occasinally not very high (about 1/8").  the only time the
> cpu showed activity was during installation of a program + an occassional
> burst to 1/2 in high and decaying for no more than 1/4 in in time.
> The only processes I saw on top yesterday were X, top & terminal. Today
with
> normal cpu activity on the monitor there was rpmv, top, X & ternimal,
rpmv
> stopped showing up while I was watching.
>

>  for testing purposes), do you see the same behaviour? Does it
> > always happen (i.e. is it repeatable, or just happens from time to
> > time)? Is the machine connected to a network? If so, can it do DNS
> > lookups (the period of inactivity could be related to DNS timeouts in
> > some circumstances)?
> >

> Previous to today it was always there today things are 'normal'.  No
network
> as far as I know no DNS.  I am sorry I dont really know what has been
> installed yet.
>
> > Are you just using the standard GNOME packages that came with the
> > Mandrake installation?
> >
> Yes GNOME 2.4.
>
> > Maybe other people will have some ideas, but for now, I think we need a
> > few more clues. So if you can answer those questions we may be able to
> > make some progress.
> >

> I am sorry I tried to respond but the system acted like I had hung a black
> box on it!
> Hope theres a clue in here somewhere.
I didnt pay enough attention and misssent this to gnome-list-request so I'm
resending with an update.  I went back to gnome and everything worked untill
I clicked the logout applett.  Then the "Do you really want to logout"
screen appeared the desktop shaded and I waited for almost 2 minutes untill
the system restarted.
Regards;
Hoyt