Re: Gnome very slow

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 10:04, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> I am having difficulties with gnom.  There is excessive delay between
> clicking on an item and any response.  This delay is from 30 sec to 1
> minute.  I am running Mankrake 9.2 on a athlon 2100+ XP w/512M mem running @
> 1.7G on a gigabyte KT400 mobo. The kernel is 2.4.22.   This is unacceptable.
> KDE runs at a much faster rate and top, on the gnome desktop, with nothing
> going on cycles from 1 to 3 processess running,  approx 88 sleeping.  I dont
> have a clue.  Since this isnt normal I came to the experts.  HELP?

Obviously this is not normal, but you have not really provided enough
information that I can think of anything obvious to suggest.

When say "clicking on an item", what do you mean? Are you selecting a
menu item or something on the desktop or ...?

So you have 'top' running in a terminal and you say that one to three
processes are running actively -- which processes are they? Are they
using a lot of CPU?

If you log into GNOME using a clean user account (just create a new
account for testing purposes), do you see the same behaviour? Does it
always happen (i.e. is it repeatable, or just happens from time to
time)? Is the machine connected to a network? If so, can it do DNS
lookups (the period of inactivity could be related to DNS timeouts in
some circumstances)?

Are you just using the standard GNOME packages that came with the
Mandrake installation?

Maybe other people will have some ideas, but for now, I think we need a
few more clues. So if you can answer those questions we may be able to
make some progress.

Cheers,
Malcolm