How to log out without main menu item 'logout' ? (Was: Editing the GNOME 2 Foot Menu, Main Menu)

Hi, I figured out that if you create a new directory and put an empty
.order file inside it, then this is enough to facilitate dragging
the directory onto a panel and having the panel display it in the
same format as the main menu! Okay, so it's empty, but that is then
easily fixed; it was getting it to be displayed like the main menu
in the first place which was the difficult bit!

I can then create all the items that are on the real main menu on
my own menu (lock screen, screen dump, submenus) *except* for the
following items:

	Run
	Log out

'Run', I'm not really bothered about - I already have the command line
applet in the panel and that is just as good. However, I do need the
'Log out' one :-)

Is there a way to *gracefully* end a GNOME2 login session with a
shell-originating command? (e.g.  kill <something>') ? Thanks!

Alexis