Re: Logout button lost shutdown/reboot

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:35:51 +0100
Bob Alexander <bob ngi it> wrote:

> <snip>
> I have installed Gnome 2.8 on my Debian unstable laptop.
>
> Until this morning all ws quite allright.
>
> Now suddendly when I click on the Logout button, it immediately logs out
> without asking if I wanted to logout, shutdown or reboot.
>
> Doing this as the normal "bob" user.
>
> Tried removing, recreating the button but unsurprisingly nothing improved.
>
> <snip>

I'm not sure if this will help, but mine would only let me log out from the Actions menu, and not shut down or reboot.  So try this, as root:

chmod +s /sbin/halt
cd /var/run
mkdir console
cd console
touch bob

Where `bob' is your username, of course.

Tell me if it works for you like it did for me!  But remember, the GNOME desktop doesn't do this by default for security reasons.