Re: I want to be able to type in the filename...

Toralf Lund wrote:

David Bouchain wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

Can I change the GNOME fileselector behaviour so that I can type in the filename?

Pressing CTRL+F in the dialog will give you a textbox where you can type in the filename.

I understand though that this is NOT what you want to do everytime when you open/save a file, and believe me,

Quite. Also, the CTRL+F does not appear to have the autocomplete feature found in older releases, that made this file selector a lot more usable in some ways than the ones found in other GUIs, IMO.

Actually, I just found that when under *some* condition, I'll get a different popup which acutally has autocomplete, at least for some apps. I haven't quite figured out what that contionion is. Makes it somewhat better, but I'd still prefer having text input inside the actual box.

I'm not too happy with that solution either! I hope they improve this somehow (I'd help, but I don't have time...)

I think the worst bit here is that it would appear that someone has actually spent time *removing* this functionality ;-(

The GTK file selector is a GTK issue rather than a GNOME issue, so this might be the wrong place to ask anyways. Hop over to #gtk on GIMPnet IRC and ask those guys.

Ah. So its the plain Gtk+ fileselector that has changed. I was thinking perhaps that this new thing I was seing was an addition to libgnome.

This is a lot faster and (ahem) *user friendlier* if you know in advance what you are looking for...