Re: 3. Attempt: Panel volume control no longer working after 2.6->2.8

Hi,

I had some sound problems when upgrading Ubuntu from Warty to Hoary. The solution (sort of... things still aren't quite right) was to turn off ESD in the sound preferences. I found the answer in the Ubuntu forums:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5923&highlight=esd+sound

Hope that helps,

Todd

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

Hi list,

I am posting this for the third time now.
Does nobody else have this problem?
Do you need any more information?

after my upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8.0 the volume control in the panel does
no longer work. If i operate the slider, it immediately snaps back to
zero when released. If i select "Open volume control" i get "Sorry, no
mixer elements and/or devices found". Permissions on /dev/snd and
/dev/sound are ok:

rebehn bremerhaven [~]: ls -l /dev/snd /dev/sound
/dev/snd:
total 0
crw-------  1 rebehn root 116,  0 Jan  1  1970 controlC0
crw-------  1 rebehn root 116, 24 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D0c
crw-------  1 rebehn root 116, 16 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D0p
crw-------  1 rebehn root 116, 25 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D1c
crw-------  1 rebehn root 116, 26 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D2c
crw-------  1 rebehn root 116, 27 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D3c
crw-------  1 rebehn root 116, 20 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D4p
crw-------  1 rebehn root 116, 33 Jan  1  1970 timer

/dev/sound:
total 0
crw-------  1 rebehn root 14, 12 Jan  1  1970 adsp
crw-------  1 rebehn root 14,  4 Jan  1  1970 audio
crw-------  1 rebehn root 14,  3 Jan  1  1970 dsp
crw-------  1 rebehn root 14,  0 Jan  1  1970 mixer
rebehn bremerhaven [~]:

Also, alsamixer works fine and i can play mp3 files with xmms.

Any ideas?