Re: All terminal windows close

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:12:21PM +0000 or thereabouts, Saurabh Barve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a funny problem that I haven't experienced ever before.
> Whenever I try to list the contents of /usr/bin on a remote ssh
> connection, it scrolls all the files very quickly, and then it closes
> the terminal window. Not only that, all the other terminal windows on
> all my other desktops close too, even if I am not logged into any remote
> machine on them.

If they all close, then gnome-terminal is crashing.

> I am running gnome on RH 9.0 on my local machine, and different flavors of
> RH on the remote machines (RH 7.3, RHEL). When I do this locally on the
> other machine, the listing doesn't give me this problem.

This sounds very strange.

> I guess this might also happen on any directory with a large number of
> files like /usr/bin, but I don't have such a directory on my remote
> machine right now!
>
> Anybody else come across something like this?

Never that I can think of.

I wonder what happens if you do "ls /usr/bin > somefile" on the
remote machine. I do not expect that to crash the terminal. So
you could then scp the file back to your machine and look at it
there.

I wondered at first if there was something in the listing which
is acting as a sequence of control characters (or whatever the
proper term is) on ssh. But if that was the case, then I would
expect just your ssh session to die. Not your gnome-terminal too.

Telsa