Panel keeps crashing -- help!

This is a last-ditch effort to get some help with this problem... I'm almost at the end of my rope here.

I'm using GNOME 2.4 on Gentoo. I have a single top panel, with the
following items:

- menu
- various launchers
- window area (like on Windows, that has buttons for all your open
windows)
- desktop switcher
- system monitors
- gnome-pilot applet
- battery applet
- volume control
- system tray
- clock

Today when I was using my computer like normal, my panel crashed,
bringing up the crash report box. When I close that, the panel dies,
then respawns, and crashes again. I've never been able to break this
cycle.

I've tried killing X, restarting gdm, rebooting, moving ~/.gconf,
~/.gconfd, ~/.gnome, ~/.gnome2, ~/.gnome_private, ~/.gnome2_private out
of the way, but the panel continues to crash as soon as it starts up.

At the time of crash, my system tray contained gaim, acme, and the
Thunderbird freedesktop extension's mail notifier.

Recently, I've tried starting up gnome-session-properties and deleting apps from my session, or even removing my session altogether. This succeeded in letting me log in without the panel trying to start, but when I try to start it manually, It still crashes.

Can somebody help me here?

Thanks a lot, guys.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker