HELP! startx fails to produce desktop

Hi!

In a misguided effort to get apt-get to install some package, I
unwisely uninstalled and re-installed several gnome-related packages.
The re-installation went (seemingly) without a hitch, but now a
few things are very messed up.

The most serious one is that when I run startx from the console,
I get an X environment *with no desktop*: the background is a
fine-grained black-and-white (effectively gray) herringbone pattern,
not the solid-color background I had before, and there are no bars
with launch icons, minimized windows, etc. running along the bottom
and top.

(Luckily there were a few xterms in an earlier saved session, which
got re-started automatically for the new X session, otherwise I
don't know how I would have been able to communicate with the
system--other than by switching to a text-mode console with
ctrl-alt-F? or by killing the X server altogether with ctrl-alt-backspace.)

As before, I have chosen gdm as my default "display manager", but
this does not seem to be enough to bring back my desktop.  If
instead of running startx from the console I run gdm, eventually
(after logging in again) I land at another desktop-less X environment,
although this time I get my old solid-color background.

What must I do to bring back my old desktop or ANY desktop?

Thanks!

kj

P.S. I am running Linux Debian 3.0 (woody), with a 2.4.18 kernel.

P.S.2 Is there a way to configure gdm so that when run from the
console it does not bring up a redundant login dialog, but goes
directly to the desktop, just as startx does?