Re: fonts, xft2, and gtk2: I am confused

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:05, Klaus Dahlke wrote:
> Hi all,
> please excuse this dumb question, but I am somehow confuded about the font handling:
>
> When I run gnome-2.4, I use GDK_USE_XFT=0 in my .xinitrc before I start gnome. I can then select basically all the fonts declared in XF86Config. When setting GDK_USE_XFT=1, only the truetype fonts are shown.
>
> After installing gnome-2.6 I can only select only the truetype fonts (GDK_USE_XFT=0), whereas gfontsel, xfontsel etc show all fonts declared in XF86Config. I haven't changed any configuration. I am little confused.

Add all those fonts declared in XFree86 config to your fontconfig
configuration file.  (/etc/fonts/local.conf or /etc/fonts/fonts.conf)
GNOME uses fontconfig exclusively, so if it doesn't know about the font,
GNOME won't know about them.  Previously fontconfig only supported
TrueType fonts so the GDK_USE_XFT hack was necessary (tho unfortunate,
since it killed good font rendering).  Now fontconfig supports all fonts
that XFree86 does, so the hack is no longer needed.  You just need to
tell fontconfig about the fonts.