Re: SPARC Solaris 8 and GNOME 2.0

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 23:47, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> System admins at my site require staff to make use of software as shipped
> by the vendor.  Therefore, right now, I am constrained to use GNOME 2.0,
> as that is the most recent version Sun ships for Solaris 8.
>
> An issue that has arisen has to do with session saving.  Currently, when
> a user logs off of a GNOME login session and select the indicator that they
> wish to save the current set of windows sizes/colors/locations on virtual
> desktop and specific display to be saved, GNOME saves _some_ information.
> However, it does not save information regarding which virtual desktop
> or video display the process was using.

I seem to remember that things were saved to the correct desktop (or
"workspace" as metacity calls them). However, the multi-display handling
did not land before GNOME 2.2. So, if they are using multiple screens,
they are probably out of luck there.

> This results in the user having to sort through the processes at
> the next login and reassign, resize, etc.
>
> One user mentioned this morning that he had to sort through 60
> windows.
>
> That's a bit excessive.
>
> Is anyone aware of modifications available that a user could make
> to enable GNOME to store enough information to not have to sort
> through all of this during the next login?

As I mentioned above, I am a bit unsure as to why the particular desktop
is not being saved when they are using a single display. You may wish to
investigate that a bit further. For the other stuff, you need to wait
for upgrades to be released.

Sorry, not particularly happy news, but that is one of the unavoidable
drawbacks of policies like that and commercial vendors -- it takes a
while for updates to hit the street. :-(

Cheers,
Malcolm