Newbie questions

Hello,

I'm brand new to Gnome, but I've used KDE on Solaris
and HP/UX from time to time over the years back when I
was a developer.

I now work for a small non-profit, and am trying to get rid of Windows and go Linux. I've installed Redhad 9 today and so far really like it, except for a couple of things with the Gnome desktop that are baffling me a bit.

If anyone on the list could answer a few questions I'd sure appreciate it.

1) When I open an application, it does not create a button on the toolbar below. And when I minimize the application it flies off into the bottom right hand corner and dissapears, apparently closing! I can't get it back unless I reopen it! I've opened a shell and done a ps waux | grep (user name) and apparently the processes are still running, I just can't get at them on my desktop.

2) When I change the names of the workspaces on the toolbar, the system does not save the new names.

3) Lastly, I can't find in the interface where to set up a samba mount to our Windows server. Is there a GUI tool for this or do I need to go command prompt?

Any help with these three, especially number 1, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
--
Skip Evans
Network Project Director

NCSE now has a one way broadcast news list. Please note that this is NOT a discussion list. You cannot post messages for members to receive. We use this list to broadcast news about the creationism/evolution issue to interested parties.

To sign up send:
subscribe ncse your email address here
to: majordomo ncseweb2 org

To unsubscribe send:
unsubscribe ncse your email address here
to: majordomo ncseweb2 org