Re: Setting enviroment variables

Larry W. Virden wrote:
From: Joe Kelsey <joek mail flyingcroc net>

GDM sources ~/.profile as part of Xsession. Therefore, all subprocesses of gnome-session inheirit the environment set up by GDM/Xsession.

This actually came up as a problem last week for us.

GDM reads .profile pretty early in the process, then, as it goes to start
the gnome session, prepends /usr/bin to the front of the $PATH .

I do not see this behavior on my machine.  I have FreeBSD 4.9, Gnome 2.4.

My PATH gets set by Xsession calling ~/.profile and GDM does not mess with it after that.

/Joe