Re: Ctrl-Alt-F1 does not switch to a text mode console

Dixit Pierre Sarrazin (2003-11-15 21:38):
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 does not work anymore (to switch to a text console)
> on my system, which I've recently upgraded from Ximian Desktop 2.0
> to GNOME 2.4 (with the RPMs from Fedora Core 1).
>
> When the mouse cursor is over a Galeon window, Ctrl-Alt-F1 switches
> it to full screen mode.
>
> When the mouse cursor is in an gnome-terminal and in the cat(1)
> command, Ctrl-Alt-F1 produces this: ^[[23;7~

I seems like Ctrl-Alt-F1 is seen as F11.

In a gnome-terminal, I see these escape codes when I press some
of the function keys with or without modifiers:

	F11		^[[23~
	Ctrl-F11	^[[23;5~
	Alt-F11		^[[23;3~
	Ctrl-Alt-F11	<nothing>
	F1		<pops help>
	Ctrl-F1		^[O5P
	Alt-F1		<pops GNOME menu>
	Ctrl-Alt-F1	^[[23;7~

That last sequence looks a lot like those for F11: in fact, (5 | 3) == 7.
That would seem to explain why Galeon appears to see Ctrl-Alt-F1 as F11,
which is its official keyboard shortcut for full screen mode.

In fact, I was able to confirm this with xev: holding Ctrl, then Alt,
then pressing F11 shows this:

KeyPress event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x3f, subw 0x0, time 335499182, (109,109), root:(137,129),
    state 0xc, keycode 67 (keysym 0xffc8, F11), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:  ""

The /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.us keyboard definition file contains
this line:

    keycode  67 = F1 F11

I've tried changing this "F11" to "F1" or to nothing, or even
to add a third "F1", but Ctrl-Alt-F1 still does not switch to a
text console.

Could anyone whose Ctrl-Alt-F1 key sequence works in GNOME 2.4
tell me if they see something different than what I get?  Thanks.

--
Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip at sympatico dot ca>