gnome-terminal mouse bindings

I recently started using the Gnome2 (by upgrading my desktop machine
to Redhat 9).  The antialiased fonts look nice, but the fact that
gnome-terminal no longer obeys standard cut-n-paste mouse bindings
within its window I find intolerable.  Specifically, the fact that
a right button click no longer extends a selection, it now brings up
a popup menu which just duplicates functionality in the menu bar.)
I have looked in vain for any way to customize mouse bindings.
Have I missed something?  Is there any way to fix this mis-feature?

Apologies if this query should have gone to a more specific list.

Laurence Yaffe