Re: Changing the window manager

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:26:07AM -0500 or thereabouts, Pierre Sarrazin wrote:
> Dixit petri.kanerva (2003-11-13 07:52):
> > > Where is the dialog in GNOME 2 that would allow me to change the
> > > window manager from Metacity to Sawfish?  I'm using Ximian GNOME
> > > Desktop 2.0 on RedHat 8.0, and I've just installed Sawfish 2.0 with RPM
> > > packages.  Thanks.
> >
> > >From terminal write
> >
> > killall metacity; sawfish &
> >
> > That should do the trick.
>
> Thanks.  This does start sawfish, but when I close the terminal (by
> clicking on the 'x' icon), sawfish crashes and there is no window
> manager anymore (I can start metacity again from a new terminal).
>
> That may be a problem with Sawfish, but I wonder if this very "manual"
> technique has something to do with the crash.

I don't think so. This technique works for most people. Is it
happening every time?

You could try saving the session before closing the window, so
that sawfish is remembered. The command is "gnome-session-save"
or "gnome-save-session": I forget which.

You could try closing the terminal window with "exit" or by
hitting ^D too, just to see whether it crashes as it does by
clicking on the [x] icon.

> So must I conclude that there is no dialog in GNOME 2.2 to change the
> WM, like there was in GNOME 1.4?  Is there such a dialog in GNOME 2.4?

Right. There is no dialogue in Gnome 2.2 to change the window
manager. Nor is there one in Gnome 2.4. And I doubt there will
be such a dialogue box in Gnome 2.5/2.6 either.

Telsa