Re: Red X where volume control applet should be

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 23:08, David Cunningham wrote:
> Hi Folks.  I'm running Gnome Desktop 2.2.0.1.  The Gnome volume control
> applet however appears as a Red X instead of the volume icon as expected.
> I've parsed the volume control applet file through strings and verified
> that the path to the volume control icon is pointing to the right place
> and that the icon exists and is viewable.  All of Gnome (including the
> volume control applet) functions normally.  It's just this one cosmetic
> issue that's bothering me.  I can't seem to figure out why the proper icon
> won't display.
>
> Is there any troubleshooting steps I can apply in to resolve this?  Any
> help would be much appreciated.

My first thought would be to have a look in $HOME/.xsession-errors. That
is where any error output is sent. So have a look for entries just after
you logged in (since that is when it is populating the panel) and see if
there is a complaint about a missing .png file.

If your .xsession-errors file is as full of errors as my one is (some
GNOME applications leave warning and error messages all over the
carpet), you may wish to log out, delete that file and log in again so
that things are easier to find.

Cheers,
Malcolm