Red X where volume control applet should be

Hi Folks.  I'm running Gnome Desktop 2.2.0.1.  The Gnome volume control
applet however appears as a Red X instead of the volume icon as expected.
I've parsed the volume control applet file through strings and verified
that the path to the volume control icon is pointing to the right place
and that the icon exists and is viewable.  All of Gnome (including the
volume control applet) functions normally.  It's just this one cosmetic
issue that's bothering me.  I can't seem to figure out why the proper icon
won't display.

Is there any troubleshooting steps I can apply in to resolve this?  Any
help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

-David