Re: Sharing gnome-terminal profiles?

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 06:13, Toralf Lund wrote:
> How do I make a gnome-terminal 2 profile visible to all user on the system?

I just figured this out with a little bit of work and a lot of help from
the GNOME 2.2 Desktop System Administration Guide:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.2/

In my case I have many desktops which I needed the profile to be
consistent on.  I roll the config out with RH's kickstart.  Part of my
post-install config script is:

#
# Set gconf keys (lifted from the GNOME Sysadmin manual)
#
function set_key() {
	CLASS="$1"
	shift
	OWNER="$1"
	shift
	TYPE="$1"
	shift
	KEY="$1"
	shift
	VALUE="$1"
	shift
	OTHER_ARGS="$*"
	/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.$CLASS $OTHER_ARGS --type "$TYPE" --owner "$OWNER" --set "$KEY" "$VALUE"
}
function set_man() {
	set_key mandatory $*
}
function set_def() {
	set_key defaults $*
}

set_man gnome-terminal list /apps/gnome-terminal/global/profile_list "[Default,App]" --list-type=string
set_man gnome-terminal bool /apps/gnome-terminal/global/use_menu_accelerators false
set_man gnome-terminal string /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/App/visible_name QRS
set_man gnome-terminal bool /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/App/default_show_menubar false
set_man gnome-terminal string /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/App/foreground_color "#FFFFFF"
set_man gnome-terminal string /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/App/background_color "#000000"
... etc

I have one line for virtually each of the profile settings that are
available.  If you wanted to set a default instead of a mandatory
setting you could use the function "set_def" instead.

The key is to read the schemas (/etc/gconf/schema) and look at the keys
that get set when you modify settings in gnome-terminal.  Some of the
schemas seem to be out of date but I found the ones for gnome-terminal
to be correct.

Sean