Re: Gconf/panel interaction problems with mandatory preferences

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 13:16, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> This is a problem with the admin guide - if there's a component for it
> in bugzilla, I'd suggest filing a bug here. Though it may be partially
> obsoleted in 2.4 (mark is hopefully getting rid of the
> default_profiles mess).

I could not find a component for it in bugzilla and I haven't found a
maintainer/author address yet.  If I do I will submit it.  I'm glad that
you told me it's a problem with the admin guide, between it and the
installed panel schema I thought there was some deep voodoo going on
with the keys that I didn't understand.  I had spent a fair amount of
time trying to figure it out.

> > There are a number of detailed errors it gives but they are all of the
> > form:
> > Can't overwrite existing read-only value:
> >  Can't overwrite existing read-only value:
> >  Value for `/apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/main_menu/object_type'
> > set in a read-only source at the front of your configuration path

> This is pretty much a bug in the panel; it should not be trying to set
> values when nobody has changed them. Suggest filing a bugzilla report
> (and requesting that fixes by applied to the 2.2 branch).

Alright, the has been filed against GNOMEVER2.2 at bugzilla.gnome.org.

In the mean time, it sounds like my best/only option is to set the same
keys that I was using as default instead of mandatory and then perform
a:
% gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel
at each login.  I'll have to go give that a try.

Thanks once again Havoc!

Sean