Gnome apps do not seem to honor "classic"X switches

I need to use a couple of Gnome apps in a non Gnome compiant window
mamager.

Thus I need to use things like -iconic, and -geometry, which ere documented
in the X man page, and respected by almost all X apps I have ever used.

Yet the Gnome apps (Gedit, and Gnotepand if it matters) do not seem to
honor these switches.

Am I doing somethign wrong? If not, is there some way I cna achieve the
same results withpout these?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin