Installing GNOME Programs in different prefix than GNOME

Hi,
I've just compiled CVS galeon to /usr/local and noticed that it won't
work because Bonobo can't find Galeon's .server files residing in
/usr/local. I suspect gconf, gnome-vfs etc. would suffer from the same
problem finding schemas and application info. The same applies for the
foot menu which doesn't display the entries.

My GNOME is 2.2 from Debian Unstable and of course installed in /usr.

Is there a way to have the GNOME libs search the /usr/local tree for
files as well without recompiling it? environment vars or something?

Thanks,
Benjamin