Re: Some questions about the gnome 2 window manager

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 07:29, Julien Olivier wrote:
> Le jeu 15/05/2003 à 12:56, Johan Vervloet a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >

> Hi
>
> > I just installed gnome 2.2, and I have some questions about the window
> > manager.  There are some (2) things I would like to be able to, but I'm
> > not sure whether they are possible.
> >
> > The first thing is maximizing a window in only one direction.  Can I
> > maximize a window only vertically (such that it becomes as high as
> > possible, but it keeps its width) ?
> >

> I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

Actually you can, well sort of.  If you go to your preferences
(start-here://) and go to keyboard shortcuts.  From there you can bind a
key to maximise horizontally or vertically.  The problem is that once it
is maximized, if you do it again, it doesn't unmaximize it which is
probably why it's disabled by default

> > And a second thing : can I kill a window directly using the mouse, and
> > without having to start xkill ? If a program hangs, and I want to get
> > rid of the window, I want to be able to do this by e.g. clicking the close
> > button in combination with holding the ctrl key or something.
> >

> On most applications, pressing the "close" button on a hung program
> opens a dialog asking whether you want to kill it. Just try it.

This sometimes works for me.  I believe it only works on certain
applications.  I do still have to use xkill.

/Line72