Some questions about the gnome 2 window manager

Hello,

I just installed gnome 2.2, and I have some questions about the window
manager.  There are some (2) things I would like to be able to, but I'm
not sure whether they are possible.

The first thing is maximizing a window in only one direction.  Can I
maximize a window only vertically (such that it becomes as high as
possible, but it keeps its width) ?

And a second thing : can I kill a window directly using the mouse, and
without having to start xkill ? If a program hangs, and I want to get
rid of the window, I want to be able to do this by e.g. clicking the close
button in combination with holding the ctrl key or something.

Thanks for your help,

Johan

--
No Gates, no bill !