How to turn off Gnome background?? Use Enlightenment??

I decided I can't live another day without the ability to set different backgrounds on different workspaces. SO I grabbed Enlightenment 16.6 and installed on RedHat 9, which has Gnome 2.2.

Here is the problem. Nautilus no longer has the option to turn off background management, so it blocks me from using the Enlightenment features. Only if I kill nautilus altogether is it possible to use Enlightenment features.

?

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu