Re: Gnome Fonts or what?

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 09:31, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 09:10:41AM -0700, Patrick Nelson wrote:
> > I'm not sure how to fix this or even where to look.  Anyone have any
> > ideas that might help me track this down?
>
> Run your app as "LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1 appname" and it will probably
> work. UTF-8-related bug in the Tk app.

Hay Havoc,

Caleb was up last weekend and will be coming back next weekend with
Jenn.

Anyway, I thought it might be a LANG issue and had set it globally to:

  LANG=en_US

This worked great on displaying mc and further tests show that running:

 LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1 mc

worked also.  On the bad display side:

 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 mc

displayed the mc app with weird characters.  However:

 LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1 /opt/tkabber/tkabber.tcl

still displays with the original problem.  In fact I tried all the the
following with the same results:

 LANG=en_US /opt/tkabber/tkabber.tcl
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /opt/tkabber/tkabber.tcl

just to try to see some variation.  But saw none, just the same messed
up display.

Went on the RH73 system and did a ssh to the RH9 system and tried:

 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /opt/tkabber/tkabber.tcl

and I didn't get the messed up display.  Although I'm not sure why when
I try (over the same ssh connection):

 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 mc

and I do get a messed up display.

I probably overloaded you with info, but anything else you suggest I
try?