Re: Missing panel

On Friday 28 March 2003 01:58, John Fleck wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 05:16, cr wrote:
> > A while back, X / Gnome siezed up on starting and I had to escape with
> > Alt-Ctrl-F1.
> >
> > Since then, the panel has disappeared, which makes Gnome very hard to
> > use, and I can't get it back.
>
> You can start the panel manually from the command line: gnome-panel.
> Then save your session on exit and you should have it back at the next
> session.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Thanks  John  and Mike for your similar advice.

'gnome-panel' just gave me a 'not found', however and wherever I typed it,
and Midnight Commander couldn't find any 'gnome-panel' anywhere on the
system.

I tried copying  /home/cr/.gnome/panel.d/default/panel
to   /home/cr/.gnome/panel  with no result.

However, (and I just had this thought), typing just 'panel' did the trick.
It's back.   Many thanks for the clue!     I'm running RH 7.2, maybe the file
has been renamed at some time.

Incidentally, I assume /home/cr/.Xclients-default  is the file that
determines whether Gnome or KDE starts - I've just been manually editing it
to read either    exec startkde
or     exec gnome-session

I'm not aware that the desktop switching tool does anything other than
rewrite that file, I hope I'm not missing something which will cause me
problems down the track.

cr