Missing panel

A while back, X / Gnome siezed up on starting and I had to escape with
Alt-Ctrl-F1.

Since then, the panel has disappeared, which makes Gnome very hard to use,
and I can't get it back.   I can modify the panel properties from the control
centre but that doesn't make it reappear.   If I start X as a different user,
the panel's there.    I can change to KDE with the desktop switcher, and
back, but the Gnome panel still ain't there.   The help files all say how to
change panel properties etc, but not how to make it reappear.

I assume there's a config file somewhere that's got corrupted, can anyone
tell me what it might be?   Or point me to a HOWTO?

For what it's worth, the contents of  /home/cr/.gnome/panel.d/default/panel
are:

[Config]
applet_count=17
panel_count=1
tearoffs_count=0

[Panel_1]
type=0
hidebuttons_enabled=false
hidebutton_pixmaps_enabled=true
mode=1
state=2
level=0
avoid_on_maximize=true
screen=0
unique_id=10000001
sz=24
fit_pixmap_bg=true
strech_pixmap_bg=false
rotate_pixmap_bg=true
backpixmap=
backcolor=#000000
back_type=0
edge=2

I'm getting used to KDE but I would like to revert to Gnome when I can.

cr