Re: RH7.3 -> RH8.0 -> Gnome 2.2

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 14:15, Dragos Dobrescu wrote:
> After upgrading from RH 7.3 to 8.0, evey thing was fine. However, RH has
> managed to modify all the graphics and take most of the applets out (in
> particular the one that shows free space on all filesystems). So in the
> hopes to rectiy this I downloaded the entire gnome 2.2 folder. I started
> to install the packages by trial and error and managed to install some
> before I decided to look the install order list. Ths list helped until I
> reached the atk-1.2.2. When I ./configure it I get the message below.
> My rpm says that I have glib 1.2.10-8, but I did install 2.2.1 from scratch.
> Can someone guide me one what to do?

RedHat probably isn't looking into where you are installing these
packages (/usr/local by default).  Instead of going thru the Hell of
installing these by hand, you should use garnome
(http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome) or another build script.

And as another note, a lot of those applets are just gone, in GNOME and
RedHat.  I'm not sure on the disk-space applet in particular, but it may
be that going thru all the trouble of upgrading to GNOME2.2 won't return
it to you.