RH7.3 -> RH8.0 -> Gnome 2.2

After upgrading from RH 7.3 to 8.0, evey thing was fine. However, RH has managed to modify all the graphics and take most of the applets out (in particular the one that shows free space on all filesystems). So in the hopes to rectiy this I downloaded the entire gnome 2.2 folder. I started to install the packages by trial and error and managed to install some before I decided to look the install order list. Ths list helped until I reached the atk-1.2.2. When I ./configure it I get the message below.
My rpm says that I have glib 1.2.10-8, but I did install 2.2.1 from scratch.
Can someone guide me one what to do?

Thank you
Dragos

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.1, but GLIB (2.0.6)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt2/lib
/usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib