Re: NEWBIE: GNOME2: Icon, font, and horizontal line issues

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 05:49, Thoenen, Peter Sprint CIV wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Tried google a bit before posting this but didn't seem to resolve the issues
> I have (or maybe didn't parse query correctly).  Have just installed GNOME2
> for the first time (gnome2-2.2.0 to be exact, FreeBSD 4.7,
> XFree86-4.2.0_1.1) and have a couple issues:
>
> 1.  Is it possible to remove the Home and Trash icons from the desktop?

I believe you can. Try manually removing those files using a terminal.
(I think this was answered recently on this list, you might check the
archives for a better explanation.)

> 2.  Any place I have characters or words, I get a faint gray / black
> horizontal line (like a background) that extends across the entire screen
> the height of the text.  I can still see the text on top of the line, but
> see line also.

Can you post a screenshot and send a URL? I don't understand what you
mean.

> 3.  Font seems to run together, spacing doesn't seem to be all there ('car'
> will have c and a on top of each other).  Using sans font.

Weird. Again, a screenshot would help.

> 4.  On terminal screen (and terminal screens within x only) I do not get all
> my text.  Only way I can visually see it all is to highlight the entire
> area.  "This will read to me"-->"This              me" with the missing text
> there, just matches the terminal background color.

Have you tried other terminal programs? Is this gnome-terminal, xterm,
rxvt, eterm, or what?

--Ben

> Help on this would be appreciated.  Not honestly sure how much of this is an
> GNOME issue or if its a X issue.

It sounds like you have some weird X font issues, but this may be as
good a place as any to have them resolved since the issues are GTK/GNOME
related.