Gnome VFS - not used yet?

Hi,

I recently installed a gnome-vfs-sftp package in Debian (although I
have no idea where it came from). It turns out to be pretty useful for
Nautilus (if it weren't for a minor bug) for connecting to the
university I attend through SSH.

One of my friends then asked me if it would be possible to use it to
play music files directly. But to my great surprise, not even EOG was
capable of using the module to display a remote image.

Anyone know how widely deployed gnome-vfs is currently? It seems to
promise location independence, but if only Nautilus uses it... Anyone
planning to use it more?

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/