Re: gdmlogin loop problem

Hi!

At 20:23 13.06.2003 +0200, you wrote:
on my debian-testing K7 PC I cannot login: When gdm starts, I only get
the gray dotted X background and a small wristwatch symbol in the screen
center, which is a little nervous.

Well, this was what happened to me when trying to use gdm instead of startx (see mail with subject "Metacity and gnome and startX and... whatever").

"top" tells that there are is a sequence of gdmlogin processes. It seems
that the gdmlogin can't bring the login screen and dies, then a new
gdmlogin is started, and so on.

If I remember right, it was that gdmlogin that took up about 99% of the CPU usage.

Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?

*riiiiiiiing*

BTW: I can still switch to a terminal console and log in there, but
after a while even this doesn't work anymore and the LEDs at the
keyboard start blinking. Only way out is hard power-off.

Please help! Any hint welcome.

Well actually no hint but... I do have a similar problem. Does gnome2 work for you at all, e.g. with startx?

Greetings Hartmut

Bye
Tobias

The Wisdom of Daily Life
# 1: Watch a sunrise at least once a year.