problem installing libgnomecancas

Hi all,

I'm in the process of installing Gnome 2.2 from source packages
on a Solaris 2.8 sytem but am facing an issue while trying to
install libgnomecanvas.

The screendump of the error is as follows:

----- dump begins -----

checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.3 libart-2.0 >= 2.3.8
pango >= 1.0.1 pangoft2 >= 1.0.1... sh: gnome-config: not found
sh: gnome-config: not found
Package pangoft2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pangoft2.pc'
No package 'pangoft2' found

configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.3
libart-2.0 >= 2.3.8 pango >= 1.0.1 pangoft2 >= 1.0.1) not
met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so
pkg-config can find them.

----- dump ends -----

I searched the gnome-list archives and saw John Covici had
reported the same problem while installing Gnome on a debian
platform. Reference:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2002-April/msg00040.html

But I could not locate the source package for building the
library (libfreetype6-dev) on Solaris. Is the package to
create this library same as the freetype-2.1.4.tar.bz2 ? Did
I miss something while configuring the freetype package?
Or should I download some other package for this library?

Thanks,
Siddharth.

PS: I took the liberty od ccing the people involved in the
    earlier thread. I hope you guys do not mind!

This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited (HSS) and is
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  It
may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.  If
you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  HSS accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email
including damage from virus.