Re: discontiguous multihead and gnome

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:09:55PM -0800, Alex Deucher wrote:
> would gnome remember each instance?  if I had different
> themes/background/numbers of panels, etc. would it associate that with
> a  screen or would it just be a duplicate of the local session if I
> were to restart?  for instance, if I regularly started gnome on my
> local display and then started it on a remote display, would each
> display remember it's respective settings?

You could try this by using the $(ENV_) feature of ~/.gconfd/path,
perhaps, in combination with the GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS environment
variable (or only logging in one place at a time).

http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ has assorted docs.

Basic idea would be to use ~/.gconf-$(ENV_SOMETHING) instead of
~/.gconf/

I've never tried it, but maybe you could convince it to work, if you
are fairly technical. It's not going to "just work" though.

Havoc