From: tom [mailto:tom osageinc com]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 10:26 AM
To: cr orcon net nz
Cc: Keith Powell; gnome-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Need Distro Recommendation

On the dark side, assume all will be lost. Backup everything before you
proceed. Start with this assumption and you will not be disappointed.

On the bright side, I had been running Red Hat 7 for over a year on our
server. I was VERY disappointed that many of the utilities and tools
that came with that distro were obsolete when I installed them. I went
through quite a long period of upgrading from buggy stuff to stable.

I installed Debian (Woody) on my laptop as a dual boot. It is a clean
installation, all of the issues were caused by the user -- me ;o) --,
not problems with unstable utilities.

It's worth the effort. Depending on your experience level, count on one
or more days of down time.

Good Luck!

Tom Lamm

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 23:26, cr wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 23:29, Keith Powell wrote:
>
> > > If you are adventurous, you could try Debian. Pros: easy, continuous
> > > updates; good packaging (usually) with a policy for doing things the
> > > Right Way; tonnes of easy-to-install packages (the distribution is
> > > centralised so you don't have to hunt for RPMs); Gnome packages are
> > > usually updated within a few days of their release; a well-organised
> > > community for getting help and requesting package improvements (there
> > > is a mailing list for everything).
> > >
> > > Cons: the installer is actually OK, but some of the questions it asks
> > > are hard to answer if you are new to the GNU/Linux universe (but you
> > > only need to install it once, and there is a very nice manual); if you
> > > want bleeding-edge Gnome, you need to use the so-called unstable
> > > branch (there is stable, testing and unstable) - with unstable,
> > > sometimes a package is broken and you have to wait a few days
> > > before updating.
> > >
> > > I think the plan is to have Gnome 2.0/2.2 in testing soon, but it
> > > doesn't seem to have happened yet.
> >
> > I suggest the excellent Libranet distribution, the "User Friendly"
version
> > of Debian.
> >
> > Keith
>
> Just as a matter of interest, if one replaces (say) a Red Hat distro of
> Linux, with a Debian one, what happens to all ones files on the drives?
And