Gnome 1.4 kbd repeat rate

Where is the keyboard repeat rate saved?  Whenever I login to
a gnome session, it's set much lower than I like it to be.  I
like it set to 255.

After login, checking the control panel shows it's set to 255 but
it's actually much lower.  I have to move the slider, click on
OK, reselect the control panel, move it back to 255 and click
on OK again.  Everything's fine until I logout and have to log
back in.

Any ideas where this setting is kept?  Is it under gconf?

Juan