Re: Upgrading galeon

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 14:28, Steve White wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to upgrade galeon using the binaries supplied on the project site for SuSE. As near as I can tell, upgrading galeon requires an upgrade of mozilla as well. After downloading each of the rpms for my system, I attempted an install and received the following:
>
> swhite:/home/swhite/download/gnomeupdate # rpm -U mozilla-1.2.1-0.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
> 	mozilla = 0.9.4 is needed by galeon-0.12-40
> 	mozilla = 0.9.4 is needed by nautilus-1.0.4-86
> swhite:/home/swhite/download/gnomeupdate # rpm -U galeon-1.2.5-2suse73.i386.rpm error: failed dependencies:
> 	mozilla >= 1.0 is needed by galeon-1.2.5-2suse73
>
> As you can see, there seems to be a chicken and egg problem here. How does one resolve such dependencies? The issue I am most concerned about is breaking nautilus, since it would seem that I could always force installation of mozilla, followed by galeon.

If you want to install Mozilla 1.2.1 you will break browsing in
Nautilus, as I don't think that version of Mozilla is supported by
Nautilus. But other parts of Nautilus will continue to work if you force
installation. (I believe that Galeon provides a Nautilus view that can
be used as a replacement for the Mozilla view in Nautilus)

Otherwise, in similar situations later you can just name all the
packages you want to upgrade in the same command (in this case "rpm -U
mozilla-1.2.1-0.i386.rpm galeon-1.2.5-2suse73.i386.rpm") but you still
need to force the installation because of Nautilus.

--
    Håvard

havardw stud ntnu no||http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~havardw||+47 93 84 64 68
All it takes to start an avalanche is one snowflake||Or a snowboarder
     Oh! Un Fraggle! Regarde, maman! J'ai attrap? un Fraggle!