How to monitor file space free and used?

I just installed RH8 with Gnome 2 and there are some things I used to take for granted in Gnome1.4 that I can't do any more.

One was in gmc. Highlight a bunch of directories and choose the "show disk space" from the File menu item and it would tally up the total disk space used. Is there a Gnome 2 way to do that?

I was running the WindowMaker window manager, which I can't run now because of Gnome 2's changes. So I need a good way to monitor how much file space is used on each partition. Users constantly download mp3's and such, and when a partition fills all the way up, it is bad. WindowMaker had a really great dock app to mount disks and show space used, it is called wmmount. I can't find any comparable thing in Gnome 2. I want "just a little thing" that shows how much space is free.

Alternatively, it would be great if Nautilus status bar showed the free space, as does Windows Explorer.
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu