Nautilus and Xft

Hi all,

sorry if this has been discussed before: my gnome-installation doens't like Xft. I installed gnome-2.2 from tarballs and followed installation rules. I installed as one of the first packages fcpackage.2_1. I installed fontconfig in /usr/X11R6, the same for Xrender and Xft. The gnome2-packages I compiled basically by:
./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome2 --enable-static=no --enable-gtk-doc=no. All went fine. When starting gnome, nautilus runs ( I hae icons on the desktop and can set teh background). Opening my homedir via nautilus results in a crash. Output in .X.err is:

Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document

edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

If I set 'export GDK_USE_XFT=1' in my .xinitrc, gnome-terminal doesn't run as no fonts are found:
error message is like: cannot load helvetica-sans-10, switching to default font, cannot load default font.

With 'export GDK_USE_XFT=0' this error doesn't occur, but nautilus still crashes (as well bug-buddy).

In the mailing list of fontconfig I read a comment that pango has some problem with 'sans' fonts:
<quote>
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need toYou should check with a non GTK2 applications to see if it is a problem
with pango or with fontconfig (try xterm -fa Monospace).

I have found some problems with fontconfig matching code, which is used
by Pango to resolve "Sans" and other aliases) when specific TTF fonts
are installed (currently onyx.ttf) and cause GTK2 applications to fail
to start.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com>
MandrakeSoft

Is there anything else to do then installing xft (like adding some modules in XF86Config)?
How do I get rid of Xft so that nautilus will work again?

Thanks,
Klaus