Re: theme manager problem

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 15:27, Sam Steele wrote:

> type "xhost +localhost" as the user running the X server, and then
> any app being launched from the local system will have access to the
> X display.

I have the same setup (Slackware 8.1, latest Dropline GNOME as of last
night) and have been unable to successfully run gnome-theme-manager.

This particular error doesn't appear to be related to X, at least not
in a way that's resolvable with xhost.

<-- begin bash output -->
$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
$ sudo su
# gnome-theme-manager

(gnome-theme-manager:11402): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to
session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
<-- end bash output -->

I was able to successfully add localhost, but not root. Secure RPC isn't
support isn't compiled into the standard Slackware 8.1 xhost. Is GnomeUI
requiring Secure RPC support for authentication?

FWIW, running gnome-theme-manager as a normal user stalls out. When
running an strace, I've seen it stop in the middle of reading the
themes.

If I create a user with no existing GNOME settings, gnome-theme-manager
still fails in the same way, but at least Nautilus uses a better set of
default icons. I've been unable so far to get the same behavior in my
regular account by setting (what appear to be) the relevant gconf keys
manually.

Barthel

--
      ld_barthel yahoo com | http://geocities.com/ld_barthel

We are Pentium of Borg. You will be approximated.