launching a "panel" in a remote machine

This is the first time I am writting to this list.
So, hello to everybody.

I have to linux boxes running Debian, and I would like
to launch applications in one box and and see the
application in the other box.
As far as I know, I can do this by executing a
Gnome panel remotely and exporting the display.
However, when I execute the "panel" command
I get the following error:

server:~$ panel
** WARNING **: Could not get name service!
** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 660 (real_goad_server_activate):
assertion failed: (name_service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting...
Aborted

How can I execute "panel" wihtout starting a complete
Gnome session ("gnome-session") remotely?
Can I solve my problem in a simpler manner?

Thank you very much.

Manuel Arenaz