Re: trouble with gnome

.On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 15:09, Benjamin Meakin wrote:
> The icons that appear are mostly displaying the time. And I am using

The time... Hmm... I'm not sure what that would mean. Would it be
possible for you to post a screenshot and send a URL?

> Gnome 2.0.The main problem is that there is a distorted black and white
> image that runs acrross the top of my screen. Somebody from a Gnome
> forum told me that the cause might be that xfree86 might not be
> configured correctly for my video card. If this is the problem how can I
> fix it?

That definately sounds like X is misconfigured. I'm not sure what to
suggest, though. Asking a local Linux expert who could look at it in
person would be good. I don't have enough experience with X to know what
would be causing the sort of issue you describe. Do check that you have
the right resolution and a resonable refresh rate selected. Even try
640x480 @ 256 colors if nothing else is working.

--Ben