Re: Why file content sniffing sucks

On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 13:28, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> I haven't seen a single case where 'content rich' browsing worked
> better than plain simple suffix detection, but I have seen a lot of
> cases where 'content detection' resulted in nautilus becoming pretty
> much unusable.

Can people please stop confusing issues.  Nautlius's implementation of
file sniffing is no reason to label file sniffing is bad.  I mean, come
on, just because George Bush is the village idiot, doesn't mean that all
presidents (past and future!) are intellectually challenged.

Just beacause Nautilus _might_ lock up when file sniffing, doesn't mean
that file sniffing is a poor method for detecting file types.  That's a
poor _implementation_ of the method.

- Charlie

--
Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>