Re: Cannot get back into GNOME

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 21:47, DBW wrote:
> I think I have worked out what the problem is.  No idea on the solution
> though.  Ends up that it isn't anything to do with gnome ....
>
> When I drop back out of Twm to the text prompt there is this error printed out:
>
> "(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found"
>
> Finally found something somewhere with a similar problem.
>
> http://linux.ucla.edu/pipermail/linux/2003-February/008151.html
>
> >Looks to me as if fglrx driver was written with 1:0:1 set to primary
> >(this is the DVI connector)since it has the correct vendor and version
> >string. The kernel does not seem to know that 1:0:1 is a VGA connector
> >(Unknown device) even. So I can't really call to it from XF86Config. I
> >can only call to 1:0:0...
>
> That particular exchange didn't come up with any solution that I can find .....
>
> Catch ya,

have you an entry like this in /etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
        Option      "NvAGP" "0"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:1"

do cat /proc/pci

and look for the graphics card, mine is

Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX440
(rev 163).

checki it matches, if it exists