Re: Cannot get back into GNOME

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:38:16AM +1100 or thereabouts, DBW wrote:
> mike,
>
> >The command you need is startx (if you have gdm running you need startx
> >-- :1)
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> If I do that then it simply ends up in the Twm environment.

I have lost the start of this thread. So I can't remember what
OS or distro this is. And I can't remember whether this was
covered. But startx looks at various files in your home directory
to decide what to run. If they're not there, it uses defaults.

I think distros may vary in what file they use for this. On my
Fedora box, the file is ~/.Xclients. If you strip all the comments
out of that, the contents of that file are two lines:

  #!/bin/sh
  gnome-session

That starts Gnome for me. Have you a file called this with
something similar in it?

Is there an .xerrors or .Xerrors (I forget which) file with
anything useful?

You can append things like "2 > my-error-file" to the end of
the startx command to collect all the errors it meets into a
file, if not.

Telsa