Corrupted file

I am trying to get gnucash working. I run debian 3.0 on my linux box and
have used apt-get install gnucash to install to this system.

The installation appears to proceed without error or other trouble. Yet,
when I attempt to run gnucash, from the prompt, I get momentary disk
access andthen an error message telling me that there is an Unbound
Variable.

scott scott:~$ gnucash
ERROR: Unbound variable:

(it provides some other machine code symbols which I could not copy from
my linux box).

Please, let me know how to proceed to get gnucash working again on my
system.

Scott