RE: Gnome Packaging

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 21:49, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> You are talking about the requirements of yourself as a user, and I suggest
> that you express your requirements to gentoo.

Wherever did I suggest my requirements?

I'll requote the closing paragraph to that last email since I'm certain
you failed to read it:

"Is it me, or is this list starting to get big?  That looks almost
unmanageable [for anybody, Gnome devs and distro chiefs alike] - but if
it were broken down into separate meta packages...

Actually, it [partly] is - gnome-desktop, gnome-games - and I'm just
suggesting that this could be taken further in order to simplify things
from an outside perspective as well as an internal one."

You are forming a successful argument by dodging the original question
and defining a new one better suited to your perspective.  (You don't
practise law, by any chance?)

The question was not, "who is responsible for getting Gnome to the
user?"  We all know the answer to that one already!

The question was, "would extra organisation and structure in the form of
subcategories / subpackages (think of it as departmental) be beneficial
to Gnome and hence to Gnome users?"

As a benign Gnome user who doesn't mind if a little extra puppy fat gets
installed, my requirements are that my distribution installs Gnome
successfully.  That is not what I'm getting at otherwise I'd be moaning
on the Gentoo lists.

When I started looking at Gnome Office, obviously I was forced to look
at Gnome.  Looking at Gnome is like looking at a giant stirring pot, a
cauldron if you like.  Lots of things smushed together, stirred around,
making a fantastic potion.  I'm asking if there is any merit to using
lots of smaller cauldrons instead of one big one, because it might be
easier to manage the smaller ones through delegation than it is by
having lots of people stirring in on a big pot.

Gotta love terrible analogies.

- Charlie

--
Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>